09 October 2015

Why We Really Don't Like You

There are plenty of articles floating around the internet about why Mothers "hate" Stepmothers, and WE are here to set the record straight! That's right, you will read it here from biological mothers across the internet. 


The one article that stood out the most to me was found surprisingly on stepmothersupport.com. It gave a list of reasons why a Mother might hate the stepmother. But because the reasons are so generalized it's hard not to get upset about it. These DO NOT apply to ALL mothers or situations. Whoever writes these types of articles are not looking at the whole picture, rather just the one sided view.

I began to write a response to the Step Mothers Support post and quickly decided to not go that route. Instead, I thought it was a great idea to ask Mothers from various backgrounds who deal with various types of Stepmothers why they hate or dislike the "other" woman in their children's lives.
*Side Note: Mothers do not hate or dislike anyone without a reason. Whether you know that reason or not, bottom line is: there is a reason

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to correct that post but I would much rather give a Mother's Perspective on the things that stepmothers do to get under our skin.
  1. You are quick to let people know that you are the "better" Mother to my children
  2. You openly disrespect me online and/or in person, even if my children are around
  3. You create drama 
  4. You refuse to acknowledge my role as Mother to my children
  5. You assume that my children's father has never done anything wrong as a parent
  6. You insert yourself into my life (stalking, harassing, etc.)
  7. You judge me very openly and harshly about what I do/don't do with my children because I do not do things the way you think I should. 
  8. You think I want your boyfriend/husband aka my EX back
Now these may vary and obviously do not apply to everyone. I have read from stepmoms who do not think that they are part of the problem, rather it is all Moms doing. Sorry ladies, but women in general can be dramatic, mothers and stepmothers included. No Mother does anything the same way or thinks the same way. We are all made to be different.

There should always be a line drawn when it comes to taking care of our children that should not be crossed, such as abuse, neglect, etc. But to assume a Mother is "neglecting" or "abusing" her child based off an assumption or what someone tells you is being petty and immature. This picture comes to mind when I read or hear women crying out neglect and/or abuse of children who are taken care of:

No comments:

Post a Comment